NBS - Baycrest Teacher Training Workshop
A Joint Venture with
This jointly-led workshop will be taught by NBS and Baycrest staff.
Participants in the workshop will receive in-class instruction on aging, geriatric care, working in a long-term care facility, dementia and how to teach dance to this population.
Participants will have the opportunity to co-teach dance to seniors with dementia and participate in reflective feedback sessions on their work.
The workshop will include classroom and practicum components.
Successful completion of the workshop will see students:
- Achieve basic knowledge about aging population, dementia and working in long-term care
- Gain experience teaching dance to people with dementia in a long-term care facility
- Gather tools to prepare, begin and support practice in long-term care
- Create a complete dance class that’s ready and appropriate for the population
A strong emphasis on student engagement and participation, with group-led discussion as well as interactive and practical dance teaching experiences. Independent work will also be assigned for completion during the workshop.
Teaching materials to be provided:
- Curriculum document
- Dance dementia reference list
- Dance and dementia research summary table
Participants will receive a certificate upon completion of the workshop
When: November 20 – 26, 2017 (sold out)
Introductory fee: $300
Eligibility: Experienced community dance teachers, by application only.
Additional workshops will be available in 2018.
The Jack Weinbaum Family Foundation: Sharing Dance for People with Dementia initiative is a specialized health and wellness dance program developed to provide an opportunity for people with dementia to access dance and enjoy its benefits.