Canada’s National Ballet School (NBS) believes that everyone should have access to high-quality dance programs, encouraging people to engage artistically, and reap the health and social benefits that dance provides.
Through NBS Sharing Dance: Take the Lead
, we seek to empower young women to take leadership roles in their community and make a positive impact through engagement in the arts. With dance as a foundation, the FREE workshop will build leadership and communication skills that will benefit participants in their school years and beyond.
It is important for young women to have access to a full-range of opportunities to achieve the benefits that come from participating in healthy physical activity – including dance.
Through their participation in the workshop, young women will:
- Further develop their leadership, communication, and social and emotional skills
- Understand how a community arts initiative can make positive change in their school and community
- Learn how to prepare an application for a #RisingYouth Community Service grant through TakingItGlobal, to bring dance to their own community
- Increase awareness of the important benefits of regular physical activity
- Learn about Sharing Dance Day and how their communities can get involved
- Work with diverse dance artists, including Esie Mensah, one of the NBS Sharing Dance Day 2019 choreographers
Date: Sunday, February 17
Schedule: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm with lunch provided
Location: Canada’s National Ballet School, 400 Jarvis Street, Toronto
Throughout the day, participants will:
- Dance – Participate in dance workshops by leading female dance artists
- Create – With the support of mentors, create a movement piece addressing an issue important to them and their community
- Share – Collaborate and communicate with peers from across the GTA and beyond
The workshop is open to young women aged 16-25. No formal dance experience is required.
Applications for this workshop are now closed.
If you have any questions about the workshop, please contact Niamh Byrne Rodgers at email@example.com.