Dance can change lives! Sharing Dance Parkinson's was informed and inspired by the Mark Morris Dance Group's Dance for PD® program. The program is specially designed to make dance accessible to people living with Parkinson's disease (PD).
Numerous studies indicate that dance is uniquely beneficial for people living with PD - improving gait, posture, and balance (Shanahan et al., 2015). Beyond physical benefits, dance encourages social inclusion and personal and artistic expression. Increased social engagement (Foster et al., 2013) and improved quality of life (Heiberger , 2011) have also been captured in research studying the impact of dance for people living with PD. Click here
to read more about the Sharing Dance Parkinson's program and the benefits of dance for people with Parkinson's Disease.
For our community's continued health and safety, all of our seniors' programming switched to virtual offerings in September 2020. We now offer weekly free ZOOM classes.
- Classes begin with seated dancing, followed by dancing in a standing position.
- Standing sections of the class include seated options for those who prefer to continue dancing in a seated position.
- Classes are designed to be physically, cognitively, and creatively stimulating and incorporate a variety of different musical and dance styles.
- Please dress in comfortable attire. Traditional dancewear is not required. Class can be done in soft dance slippers, socks, or non-marking/clean street shoes.
- Interested participants are asked to speak with their medical provider before registering.