Canada’s National Ballet School (NBS) believes that everyone should have access to high-quality dance programs, encouraging people to engage artistically, and reap the health and social benefits that dance provides.
NBS’ Take the Lead
empowers young women aged 16 to 25 to make a positive impact in their communities through the arts. With dance as a foundation, the FREE workshop explores leadership theory and practice, and fosters skills and confidence to support participants in taking on leadership roles – now and into the future.
Through participation in the workshop, young women will:
• Participate in dance workshops by leading and emerging female dance artists
who represent diverse styles and practices
• Increase awareness of the important benefits of regular physical activity
• With the support of mentors, create a movement piece addressing an issue
important to them and their community
• Collaborate and communicate with peers from across Canada
• Learn how community arts initiatives can be a catalyst for positive change in
• Further develop their leadership, communication, and social and emotional skills
• Learn about NBS’ available online tools and supports
Date: February 14-17, 2020
Friday, February 14, 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm
Saturday, February 15, 9:45 am – 5:30 pm
Sunday, February 16, 9:45 am – 5:30 pm
Monday, February 17, 9:45 am – noon
Lunch is provided for participants.
Location: Canada’s National Ballet School, 400 Jarvis Street, Toronto
No formal dance experience is required.
Registration for the 2020 workshop is now closed
If you have any questions about the workshop, please contact Megan Ferris at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay tuned for information about upcoming opportunities in 2022
A special thank you to NBS' Take the Lead 2019 partners:
Angela Gladue, Apolonia Velasquez, Esie Mensah, Canada's Royal Winnipeg Ballet School, Collège Garden City Collegiate, Dance Fredericton, Dance Saskatchewan, Kittiwake Dance Theatre, LaMeia Kinnected Leadership, Studio 26, Studio 393, Taking It Global, Wayfinders Manitoba Inc.