About Sharing Dance Older Adults
Dance is for everyone! Developed by Baycrest and Canada’s National Ballet School (NBS), Sharing Dance Older Adults is a safe and accessible dance program that engages older adults in meaningful dance activity. Programming is designed for individual dancers, as well as for organizations in a variety of settings, including community spaces, retirement homes, long-term care centres, and more.
Did you know?
The artistry and physicality of dance supports overall physical, emotional and social wellbeing among older adults. Regular dancing also helps develop skills and confidence, while enriching your day-to-day life through creative expression. Innovative dance activities for older adults are a burgeoning field of research
. Multiple studies suggest that dance offers a unique combination of benefits for older adults, including those living with dementia and other cognitive and physical challenges.
Physical benefits of dancing in older adulthood may include:
- Improved aerobic power
- Increased muscle endurance
- Greater strength and flexibility
- Improved balance and gait
- Reduced risk of falls
Dance at Home
Subscribe to Sharing Dance Older Adults and discover the joy and benefits of dance—at home!
The NEW Sharing Dance Older Adults app offers safe, seated and standing dance classes for you! Classes are taught by professional dance teachers from Canada’s National Ballet School, are accompanied by a live musician, and include a variety of movement options. No dance experience is required!
How it works:
- Subscribe to access streamed videos and follow along with dance experts as they lead you through a class approximately 20 minutes in length
- Watch through the Sharing Dance Older Adults web platform, or download the app to your phone or tablet
- Enjoy engaging classes featuring live accompaniment that develop your skills and confidence
Classes available include:
- In Your Seat: Designed to be accessible for people with moderate to significant physical and/or cognitive challenges, this class is danced entirely in a seated position.
- On Your Feet: Designed to be accessible for people with mild physical and/or cognitive challenges. This class is danced in a standing position, with seated options.
: This section features a growing library of exciting resources to help you bring more dance into your life!
Subscribe and start dancing today!
New help creating an account? Read the Registration Guide
Community Classes: Program Packages for Organizations
Bring the joy of dance to your community!
Sharing Dance Older Adults empowers organizations in a range of settings to engage their community through dance. Stream on-demand classes online or through our new app on a range of devices. The Spring 2021 term begins April 19!
Learn more about program packages for organizations
You don’t have to have any dance experience. As long as you want to move to music, everyone is welcome.
— Dorothy "Dot" Gordon, over 90 years of age