Baycrest NBS Sharing
Dance Teacher Training Course
This training course is designed for dance teachers who are interested in learning how to offer dance classes to seniors with significant physical and/or cognitive limitation (e.g., people living with dementia). Sharing dance with this population can be an extremely rewarding experience and we are excited to be offering training in this field.
This intensive course includes:
- A 6-week online course (to be completed in the 6-weeks leading up to the in-person component of the course)
- A 5-day in-person intensive teaching practicum in which trainees will have the opportinuty to co-teach dance to seniors in a long-term care facility and participate in reflective feedback sessions about their work
Our Fall 2018 in-person practicum will take place in Toronto, Canada, from November 20th to 24th inclusive. Participants are expected to attend the in-person component for the entire week.
By completing the online and in-person component of this course, you can expect to gain:
- A general understanding of the physical and cognitive changes that may be associated with ageing
- A general understanding of the way in which programming for seniors is offered in long-term care facilities
- A solid grasp of the Baycrest NBS Sharing Dance Seniors dance progam protocol
- Experience developing dance class content for this population
- Experience teaching dance to seniors living in long-term care
- Feedback about your teaching from the program's developers to further develop your skills
- Insight related to appropriate musical selections for these dance classes
- Information to help prepare you to set up classes in your community
The cost for the course is $750CAD. This does not include the cost of any travel and accommodation you may require.
For questions regarding the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.